Tuesday, May 18, 2010

The possibilities are endless- or so you think

 The beauty of walking into a yarn shop are the possibilities. It's sort of like an art store for a painter, a hardware catalog for a woodworker. When we knitters walk into a yarn shop, The possibilities are endless- or so you think. You may see this delicious skein of mohair, or cashmere and think of the delicate intricate lace shawl you can conjure up for your grandmother. Or the sturdy sky blue cotton in the corner that would be just perfect for that baby hat. The problem with us knitters? sometimes our imaginations get us into trouble. We conjure up these perfected projects in our minds without thinking of reality. The time it takes, the skill that may be involved, even the difficulty of the pattern. Sooo my friends, this is where the "stash" comes in. For those of you that don't knit, the stash is a place in the closet, bedroom, under cabinets, and occasionally in the freezer where we stash our yarns. It's sort of like squirrels collecting for winter. We knitters have this need for new yarn, and honestly, most of us  no I'm sorry, ALL of us can't control it. I have been much better about buying skeins, and only working on one project at a time, but if I had it my way, my days would be spent dreaming up patterns, then running out of the house at mock speed to find the perfect yarn to go with it. In the end, the longer you have been knitting, the bigger your stash becomes. It can surprise you though, sometimes the perfect pairing of pattern, needle, and fiber can be right in your closet
(or freezer) just pull the wool off your eyes and look:) Actually, I take all that back, It's way more fun to go to the LYS and buy all those pretty skeins in the window. If I listen really closely  I can hear them calling my name right now...... Consider it my way of helping with the recession.

picture courtesy of knitterlythings.com

2 comments:

  1. That is so funny that you talk about stashes of yarn everywhere... Knitters and Crocheters alike do this, i can think of at least 5 places in my house where there is yarn, yet I looooovvvveeeee going to the store to buy a new skein, there is nothing like it!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its so true, yet so bad and delicious at the same time!!

    ReplyDelete