Tuesday, May 18, 2010

My five year old, the bag lady

Ever see that movie Home Alone in New York? Of course you have, and if you haven't, you tube it. My daughter Grace is going to be the pigeon feeding bag lady. She has become OBSESSED with plastic bags, and filling them with everything and anything that will go in them. Hold on, I'll grab one and we can look through it together. Ok, this one (there are many) was next to the stairs. There is:
1. First of all, it's a Bobs bag- we don't even go there so how she got it is beyond me
2. The Spaghetti boots-y'all know how that one turned out
3. " Hello Kitty's Guide to everything nice"- She put that in to derail me from her real motives
4. A remote control- I bet she's trying to turn off her sister again- it never works, but she still trys at least once a day
5. A Receipt from the bank that just made me cry- having kids sure is getting expensive
I wonder where this hoarding behavior is coming from, at least she's not keeping deli meat in her closet, or keeping her toenail clippings in a jar, but these things tend to freak me out. A few days ago she buried a stuffed animal in her garden to give it a proper burial. It turned out to be HANNAH'S stuffed cat "Buster"- not cool Grace, not cool. She is such a funny, wonderful, and much wise behind her years kinda girl. I remember looking at her in the nursery after she was born. Poor Brian and I had been through hours of agony, tears of terror, pain, and joy. Yet there she was, all the other swaddled babies sleeping peacefully, and Grace wide eyed and bushy tailed just waiting to get into trouble. I could just see her thinking" When I figure out a way to work these arms, my parents are screwed" All I know is, I'll never have to worry about her coming gome from school crying because some kid hurt her feelings. She's the type that will give it right back and get a standing ovation from the kids on the bus.

2 comments:

  1. haha i love her! haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great blog, Emily! Thanks for introducing me to it. Holly used to be a "bag lady," only she filled little sandwich bags with tiny "gifts" ranging from erasers to used muffin liners to pebbles to milk bones to barrettes. Sometimes she gave them to her friends as gifts. We referred to them as "BOCs," which stood for bag o' crap. Then Tim started using that expression and we had to outrule it. Good times all around! I'll keep up with your blog! Mine is at www.nancyshohetwest.com/lifes-a-streak-run.php

    ReplyDelete